KiBi EVO was tested along to European norm EN 13209-2:2015 (Czech translation of this norm is written as ČSN 13209-2:2016) Child use and care articles – Baby carriers – Safety requirements and test methods – part 2: Soft carrier.
This norm includes requirements for:
- all test equipment – as a test torso
- test masses – usually is used 9kg or 15 kg mass (KiBi is tested over this limit on 20 kg)
- chemicals danger – materials are tested for the presence and amount of heavy metals
- flammability - it is examined whether surface ignition occurs and determines the maximum rate of flame propagation
- mechanical danger – investigates and establishes methods of detection in the areas of suffocation and swallowing, danger of wrapping, protective function (risk of falling through the hole, head restraint,…), fastening systems (slipping of straps), durability (overall system of fastening - straps, buckles, ...)
- danger of suffocation by packaging material
- product information that you should find on the box, on the product and in the instructions for use (eg the sentence concerning birth weight and children with health problems, which can be found on the box and in the instructions, is directly dictated by this standard)
The following video comes directly from testing our carrier (KiBi EVO Flora black / lime). There is a 20 kg sand bag in the carrier.
In this test, the carrier will go through of 50,000 cycles at a time (evenly in all the wear positions), which for someone is the whole carrying period summarized in a few hours of testing. During this test, the durability of the materials and the slippage of the straps are tested.
Note that the bag has no "legs" to help spread the weight to the sides as it happens when carrying a baby. All the load is placed only on the center of the carrier and it should be remembered that although this may not be clear from the video, the standard itself clearly states that using the carrier for sports activities is not appropriate